Prep time: 10 minutes.
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 ripe Haas avocado (reserve the other half for the salad below)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup salad oil
For the salad:
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn
- 3 red radishes, cut into thin wedges
- 12 large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, chilled
- 1/4 ripe Haas avocado
- cilantro leaves as needed for garnish
Pour orange juice and the remaining dressing ingredients into a blender. Blend for about 30 seconds, or until the dressing is smooth, and the cilantro is very finely minced.
Peel the oranges with a sharp knife as you would a melon. Slice the orange into ¼-inch wheels, and cut each in half. Place the lettuce in a mixing bowl, and toss with about half of the dressing. The leaves should be evenly coated and flavorful, but not soggy. Transfer the dressed leaves to a broad, shallow salad bowl. Arrange the orange segments, radish wedges and shrimp on the lettuce, and drizzle the salad with additional dressing to taste. Garnish with whole cilantro leaves and serve immediately.