A luscious flavor combination that brings out the character of the scallops, and adds a touch of the exotic to the mix. This is a great way to express your affection for special friends.
- 12 dry sea scallops
- Kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper ground
- Almond Romesco
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 clove peeled garlic
- Juice of one lemon
- ¾ cups Spanish Blend extra virgin olive oil
- Bread crumbs (approx. 1 cup)
- Red wine reduction
- 3 cups Cline Cellars Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- Curry oil
- 1 tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 2 cups grape seed oil
- In a food processor combine the nuts, garlic and parsley. Blend till coarse ground, add the lemon juice. Slowly add in the olive oil and puree to a loose pesto consistency. Remove the mixture from the bowl and place in a clean mixing bowl. Slowly stir in the breadcrumbs to lightly bind the mixture. Season with salt and set aside. May be made up to two days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Bring up to room temperature before serving.
- Place the wine and sugar in a small sauce pan. Reduce till light syrup consistency.
- Combine the curry powder and the oil in a small sauce pan. Heat on low heat until aroma from the curry develops.
- To Assemble: Sear the scallops in a hot pan with a little oil till golden brown season with salt and pepper, flip and repeat. When the scallops are just warmed through remove from heat. Place the almond romesco in the middle of the plate, top with the scallops, drizzle a little of the curry oil & red wine reduction around the scallops. Serve.